The Campbell Island snipe Coenocorypha aucklandica 'Campbell', was first discovered in 1997 on Jacquemart Island, a 19ha inhospitable rock stack 1km off Campbell Island. The first naturalists that visited Campbell Island in 1840 found no land birds - all of them had been wiped out by rats that got ashore from shipwrecks. After rat eradication on the main island in 2001, snipe have returned naturally with 30 birds found in 2006.
Photo: Jeremy Carroll, Crown Copyright © Department of Conservation
Copyright © 2006 TerraNature Trust. All rights reserved.